Friday, December 12, 2014

Happy Anniversary to Sam and Diane!

Sam and Diane: A Scottish Highland Ceilidh

For those who don't speak the Gaelic, a ceilidh (kay-lee) is a party, often associated with courting. The original word means, “companion”. I can't think of a more perfect word, then, for the Scottish wedding of Sam and Diane last December. The ceremony took place on December 21st, the Winter Solstice, when the light returns to the world; the symbolism became a wonderful part of this magical wedding ceremony.

Sam hails from the Highlands of Scotland. I was enchanted the moment I met him. Peering at me myopically through his Coke-bottle glasses, Sam said, . . .uh. . .something. Wow. That's quite a burr he's got there. I blame it on the noise at Starbucks, really, that I had to ask him to repeat himself. But mere moments later, I found myself laughing delightedly with this rascally, hilarious Scot. Diane soon showed that she was going to match him witticism for bawdy, eyebrow-waggling witticism. Between the two of them, I think they may have cornered the market on mischievous charm. These two, I thought, are my kind of people!


Sam and Diane wanted to honor Sam's heritage, and to work the theme of the Solstice into their ceremony. They chose a handfasting ceremony, which is a marvelous Scottish tradition, in which the couple's hands are tied together. It's where we get the phrase, “tying the knot”. Sam planned to wear his full kilt; happily, being of Cunningham heritage myself, I wore my clan sash and badge.

As I approached, the sounds of the bagpipes swirled through the air. Smithville is host to dozens of darling little shops, and the unusually fair day meant the place was crowded. The sounds of happy laughter and chatter were everywhere. The wedding took place at Fred and Ethel's Lamplight Tavern in adorable Smithville, NJ. The antique building is full of charm; the room boasted beamed ceilings and a gorgeous fireplace. We held the ceremony there; Sam in his kilt, and Diane looking like the Queen of Winter in her sparkling white lace gown and headpiece of evergreen and crystal.



The bagpiper piped Diane to the altar. The couple shared bread and salt, to symbolize that they would have bountiful food and one another's protection. A friend had braided their handfasting cord, including a length of Sam's clan tartan, and hanging tiny charms from the ends. Feelings of love and joy filled the room completely. Diane likens Sam's love for her to the Winter Solstice; just when things seemed darkest, he brought the light back into her life. But don't think this ceremony was solemn and formal! Oh, no. In fact, though I'm used to hearing some bawdy jokes before or after a ceremony, this wedding marked the first time the couple was cracking wise during the ceremony! I think it would have taken about five minutes less if we hadn't kept stopping to laugh. And laugh. And laugh!

A merrier gathering was never held than the reception that followed. Sam and Diane shared a quaich, toasting each other and the guests. To honor the Solstice, candles and decorated matchbooks were placed at each person's seat. I asked the guests to light not their own candle, but someone else's. Diane's eye for detail shone through; the decorations were absolutely gorgeous, with sparkling white, silver, and slate blue on every wall and table, and tartan everywhere it could go. Even Diane's finger- and toenails sported tartan stripes!

Sam and Diane, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for having me as part of your wedding day. I will remember it always! Happy Anniversary!


Love,

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment